While increasing production capacity of chicory root fiber, Beneo invests in sustainability as well

Article

Beneo reports that its 30% increase in capacity will be accompanies by a reduction in its specific energy consumption by 35%.

Photo © AdobeStock.com/Ruud Morijn

Photo © AdobeStock.com/Ruud Morijn

While Beneo (Parsippany, NJ) is increasing its global capacity for its prebiotic chicory root fibers by 30% thanks to an $88.9 million investment into its production plant in Pemuco, Chile, the company reports that the increase in capacity will be accompanies by a reduction in its specific energy consumption by 35%.

Based on findings conducted at its Chile plant, the companyupgraded existing processing equipment and invested in new technology, including new evaporation systems, to reduce the energy required andensures that the energy is used in the most efficient way possible. The investment also improved process continuation because the equipment can now be cleaned without interruption in the overall process.

“At Beneo, ensuring reliable and consistent delivery to our customers goes hand in hand with taking steps toward more sustainable and environmentally friendly production processes,” said Guillermo Fernandez, head of manufacturing at Beneo, in a press release. “This also means that for every investment, the highest level of energy efficiency is applied. Therefore, the significant reduction of specific energy consumption at our chicory root fiber plant in Pemuco is an important milestone for us.”

Catering to the rising demand for prebiotics, Beneo has announced that it will open a new refinery line in Pemuco, Chile by the end of the year, which will lead to a 15% increase to its total chicory fiver capacity. An additional 15% increase is due to be completed by next spring to accomplish the stated 30% total increasein capacity.

Related Videos
woman working on laptop computer by window
© 2024 MJH Life Sciences

All rights reserved.